Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Beni Otaki (Red Bamboo)

I heard of Red Bamboo and always wanted a Beni Otaki. I have found that and ordered online. It came today but looking at it sort of dissappointed me. I have a feelings that the nursery made a mistake and sent me bloodgood instead? I am not sure though; what do you think? Due to the shipping stress, they are sort of dry but I am hopping they will make a come back with my TLC. But I need to know if this is what I think it is.. :)

This is pretty regardless, but I do not think they look like Bamboo leaves like I thought they do when I saw other pictures on the web. By the way, please share with me if you know any resources out there that identifies Japanese Maple . So far I am not having great luck and often same tree I find with different name .. :)

4 comments:

John Geraghty said...

The short answer to your question is no! Whilst juvenile leaves can be quite plump, the lobes are always quite elongated as you can see from the picture here: http://www.bodwen-nursery.co.uk/japanesemaplebee.html
As to what you have, the only way to get the definitive answer is to grow it on in full sun and see what it looks once established.

John Geraghty said...

The short answer to your question is no! Whilst juvenile leaves can be quite plump, the lobes are always quite elongated as you can see from the picture here: http://www.bodwen-nursery.co.uk
As to what you have, the only way to get the definitive answer is to grow it on in full sun and see what it looks once established.

MrChoudhury said...

It is so funny to find this blog I posted little more than 5 years ago :)) .. How much we learn over time. The tree/graft that I got was definitely a Beni Otaki! You should see the Tree now .. and color .. WOW! (I have to take some picture but alas, this is Winter here in Georgia and all leaves were lost) ..

MrChoudhury said...

Oh, I should mention that those Fat leaves eventually change to the Bamboo like leaves as the Tree matures.