Saturday, August 05, 2017

Acer Buergerianum Formosanum - Miyasama Yatsubusa (Chinese: tai wan san jiao feng)



It's been a while since I last talked about my Taiwanese Trident or  Acer Buergerianum Formosanum  aka Miasma Yatsubusa.   After successfully propagating two more, I decided to relocate the mother tree to a Bonsai Training Pot.  Since I lost my root over rock project with her sister, and so finicky to root cutting etc, I didn't want to risk loosing her too. :)

Anyway, she seems to be ok with the new apartment so far.  This would be the first Winter in this pot, but I plan to stay vigilant this time around (not expose to much like I've done with with the Root Over Roc project during Winter time).   I have no idea about future styling, designing etc, but for now, I want her to thrive in this pot for couple of season before I consider moving her to a more traditional bonsai pot.  I actually like the Round style, so I might go in that direction on the right time comes.

Oh from Internet Bonsai Club forum a member: twyama3388 informed me something interesting today as to how these Taiwanese Maples were named Miyasama.  I learn something everyday :)

Miyasama is native to Taiwan, which is a Taiwan maple, since ancient times is authored as bonsai trees. Reason is called the Miyasma maple like to said. When originally called Taiwan maple had spread to Japan. Since there is also a Taiwan production of maple "sugar maple", also known as Taiwan. that can not be distinguished. So Article 500 bonsai magazine editor Mr. Miyasama put this maple named Miasma .


That forum member 'twyama3388' also shared couple of pictures that look slightly different than the one I have, but very close.   I think my Miyasama's leaves are much more thicker, darker (when matured) and smaller (even when field growing for many years, these leaves are smaller.



 As I mentioned, I have created two more using Air Layer Method (one is tall and other one is short) . They are both growing nicely so far.  They are my security of attempting things with the mother tree though I would be very heartbroken if something were to happen, so will be ever so careful.   I think this plant now have a pretty thick girth to show nicely in a nice pot (But that's 2-3 years away).



I'm looking forward to seeing how the fall color turns out since the move.   I will take some pictures if I can :).   

No comments: